With the ever growing popularity of laser treatments comes the many myths about the subject. We have put together our Top Ten Laser Treatment Myths as an aid to weed out the myths from the true facts.
- Laser Hair Removal is Painful. The process of removing hair is called Photothermolysis, which broadly speaking is the use of light to remove hair. During the process the client may feel a warming sensation which lasts only seconds as cooling equipment is used throughout the treatment. Laser hair removal is far less painful than threading or waxing.
- Tanning has no effect on a Laser or IPL treatment. This is a myth. When skin has bee3n tanned either naturally or fake, the pigment in the skin is increased and this can cause burning during the laser treatment. A good laser clinic will always check the skin before beginning any laser treatment.
- In grown hair is caused by laser hair removal treatment. The truth is that laser hair removal is the recommended treatment for in grown hair. Conditions such as razor bumps and folliculitis are treated with laser hair removal.
- Low cost treatments will save me money. The price of laser treatments is very much dictated by the cost of the technology itself. So if a clinic operates a cheap laser, it will be able to offer cheaper treatments.
Many beauty salons buy cheap IPLs which don’t get the same results as a medical grade laser. You could either end up with unsatisfactory results, or worse still, no results at all meaning you end up paying more in the long run.
In the laser world, you really do get what you pay for.
- Laser Hair Removal isn’t safe. In the hands of qualified staff and with expert guidance and information laser hair removal is safe. Talk to one of our qualified staff today for further details.
- Laser hair removal cannot be done on sensitive areas of the body. This is also a myth. The bikini area, upper lip and underarms are all sensitive areas of the body, yet they remain extremely popular with clients. Laser hair removal can be used on any part of the body.
- People with dark skin are safe to use IPL treatment. IPL technology is not safe to use on darker skin due to the pigment attracting the light. However some clinics have lasers that can be used on some darker skin types. You can always make an enquiry with us and we will be happy to help.
- Laser hair removal is permanent. While laser hair removal treatments can be long lasting, regular maintenance is required to ensure the results are kept up.
- Waxing and or epilating can be done between treatments. This is not advisable. During waxing or epilating the hair follicle is removed. Laser hair removal treatment targets the hair during its growth period and this wold not be possible if waxing or epilating has taken place. However, shaving between treatments is fine.
- Laser hair removal treatment is expensive. The cost of laser hair removal treatment may differ from clinic to clinic. The old adage of ‘you get what you pay for’ comes to mind. However, if you consider the effects of laser hair removal against your regular hair removal regime of shaving, waxing, epilating or threading you may discover that investing in laser hair removal treatment is more beneficial and worthwhile.
We hope you have found our Top Ten Myths of Laser Treatments helpful. If you have any questions regarding any of the above myths please don’t hesitate to give us a call and we will be happy to discuss them with you.